Keto Salad – Lebanese Tabbouleh
A Lebanese Tabbouleh is a salad originating from the Arab World. It is a light vegetarian dish with a lot of refreshing vegetables like tomatoes, mint, parsley and lemon juice. Eating a bowl of tabbouleh is like eating out of a farmer’s beautiful garden.
This recipe tastes great and provides you with vitamins, minerals and a lot of dietary fiber. Dietary fibre is essential for a keto diet as it helps with bowel movement.
Usually, a tabbouleh has bulgur, a type of wheat that adds a nutty flavor to the salad. Since bulgur has a high content of carbs, I decided to use chia seeds instead. Chia seeds are one of the most healthy foods around. If you don’t have chia seeds, you can replace them with hemp seeds, sesame seeds, or even cauliflower rice.
Serving size: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups of chopped parsley, throw away the stalk.
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 5 mint leaves
- 5 tbsp olive oil – I use this Extra Virgin Olive Oil brand
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tbsp roasted cumin powder
|Of which saturated||10.6||grams|
|Of which sugars||11.8||grams|
- Soak 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing. Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil,roasted cumin powder
- Finely chop the mint leaves, spring onion and the tomatoes.
- Mix in the greens with the dressing in a big bowl. It should be wet and the flavors should be mixing.
- Strain the water from the chia seeds.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Mix both chia seeds and chopped parsley leaves into the bowl.Toss the salad so the dressing is distributed well.
- Sprinkle in a tablespoon of unsoaked chia seeds for some crunch. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Awesome twists to the recipe
- Add in some chicken or prawns for more protein.
- Replace chia seeds with hemp seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds or cauliflower rice. Try them all and see which one you like most!
I love having this salad for lunch. It gives me great energy and I don’t feel bloated after. You can make this in combination with other dishes to make a complete dinner for your home.